HOUSE OF HEALING ON THE HILL
HOUSE OF HEALING ON THE HILL 162 Upper Knockbreda Road
Canon Noel Waring set up the Church’s Ministry of Healing (CMH) in Dublin in 1932. In the 1960s an elderly lady bequeathed her home in the Malone Road area of Belfast to be sold for a centre of the healing ministry in Belfast. The priest in charge was Rev Fred Baillie, who was also working part-time at St Martin’s Ballymacarrett. CMH purchased the St Martin’s curettage, 11 The Mount, Albertbridge Road, Belfast, as their healing centre and Brother David Jardine was employed as Assistant Warden.
The house at 11 The Mount served until it was sold in June 2007. A local developer bought it for about three times the market value, and the money was invested. It had been in a very poor state of repair. Then rooms were rented from Church Mission Society Ireland at 33 Dargan Road, Belfast. While the accommodation was excellent, it was located in the wrong place for the ministry and a search began for an alternative.
This produced a house, 162 Upper Knockbreda Road. It was derelict, but in the right location opposite St Finian’s Church. Funds were invested in the Church of Ireland Trustees, the house was completely renovated, and now they lease the site and house to CMH-The Mount for a peppercorn rent for 99 years.
The rear garden, now a Garden of Respite and Prayer, is a spacious place of beauty and serves as a quiet, private area for visitors and the ministry. Car parking accommodates about 11 cars.
The house has five counselling/prayer rooms, one with disability access. There is a drop-in centre with kitchen facilities. There is a large chapel/meeting room and two administrative offices.
The ministry moved from Dargan Road on 1st June 2014 and the adage ‘location, location, location’ has again proved its worth. The ministry is being truly blessed as we move into this new era.