Canon Noel Waring set up the Church’s Ministry of Healing (CMH) in Dublin in 1932. In the 1960s an elderly lady bequeathed her home in the Malone Road area of Belfast to be sold for a centre of the healing ministry in Belfast. The priest in charge was Rev Fred Baillie, who was also working part-time at St Martin’s Ballymacarrett. CMH purchased the St Martin’s curettage, 11 The Mount, Albertbridge Road, Belfast, as their healing centre and Brother David Jardine was employed as Assistant Warden.
The house at 11 The Mount served until it was sold in June 2007. It had been in a very poor state of repair. Rooms were rented from Church Mission Society Ireland at 33 Dargan Road, Belfast while a search began for custom premises. This resulted in Cregagh House, 162 Upper Knockbreda Road. It was derelict, but in an opportune location opposite St Finian’s Church, funds were invested by the Church of Ireland Trustees. The house was completely renovated, and now, as owners, they lease the site and house to CMH-The Mount for a peppercorn rent for 99 years.
Thus, a healing ministry has been practiced and developed resulting in the House of Healing on the Hill with five counselling/prayer rooms, one with disability access. There is a drop-in centre with kitchen facilities. There is a large chapel/meeting room and two administrative offices. The rear garden is now a Garden of Respite and Prayer, which is a spacious place of beauty and serves as a quiet, private area for visitors and the ministry. Car parking accommodates about 11 cars.